quinoa lemon poppy seed pancakes

 photo IMG_3657copy_zps238c9fee.jpg  photo IMG_3651copy_zps3f64221c.jpg  photo IMG_3648copy_zpse6f2e2c6.jpg
I have come to an important conclusion about life. Pancakes are good for the soul. So when I find that my soul is in need of nourishing, I look for a good pancake recipe. This recipe in particular is good for that purpose. (Thank you Tartine and Apronstrings.) They're bright and fresh and slightly healthy-ish, as far as grains go. Although I stray a little from the original recipe (because where the freak would I find a yuzu fruit in Utah?), I found that the results are absolutely delicious. This has become one of my favorite breakfasts/lunches/dinners. Pancakes are appropriate at any and all times of day.

1/2 c. rice flour
1/2 c. quinoa flour
2 TBS sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 pinches salt
2 TBS poppy seeds
zest from 1 lemon
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp lemon extract
1 TBS canola oil

In one bowl, add the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, zest, and poppy seeds and stir them together. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks, buttermilk, lemon extract, and oil. Add all of that to the dry mixture. In ANOTHER separate bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. (Which looks something like this. Just in case you're like me and are slightly clueless as to whether it really just means "foam" or not.) Fold (gently stir) those into your first bowl. At this point you can start cooking them over medium heat in a frying pan. They'll need to cook for about 1-2 minutes per side. Serve it up with honey, blueberries, maple syrup; whatever your taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment