tomato, fennel, & carrot soup

 photo IMG_3634copy_zpsb5772042.jpg  photo IMG_3644copy_zps1d147b92.jpg  photo IMG_3645copy_zpsdc11009f.jpg
Anyone who knows me well knows that my favorite meal in the entire world is tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich, and it has been since I was a little kid. It's my go-to meal for when I'm feeling sick, stressed, tired, happy, reminiscent, hungry, or in a hurry. So pretty much all the time.
Today I decided to class it up a little bit and try something more than my regular can of Campbell's. It started out as a crazy experiment, trying to incorporate my current favorite vegetable (fennel), but it ended as one of the more satisfying and delicious dinners that I've had in a while. It serves two, so feel free to double or triple it if you have more than yourself to feed.

1 1/2 c. crushed tomato (canned)
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1 1/2 c. chopped fennel
2 c. vegetable broth
1 TBS chopped chives
1 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp paprika
3/4 c. cream

Start off by adding the fennel, carrots, and 1 c. of vegetable broth to a pot over high heat. Cover it, and let it cook for about 10 minutes--until the vegetables are soft. At that point, add the rest of the other ingredients (excluding the cream) with a few leftover fronds. Cover it again, lower the heat to just a simmer, and let it cook for 40-60 minutes. The longer it cooks, the more flavor it has, but technically you could even let it cook for just 20 minutes and probably be fine. When it's done simmering, put it all in a food processor and blend it up as much as you can. Put it back in the pot and whisk in the cream. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes or so, and voilà! Dinner.
To be fancy, I also included crackers topped with brie and a choice of pesto or jam. (Much classier than your average grilled cheese. Also less satisfying. Being classy doesn't pay off sometimes.) But enjoy anyways!

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! You weren't kidding when you said you were going home to make soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Had I known this is what you'd be making, I totally would've invited myself over! ;)

    ReplyDelete