green chile cornbread pancakes with roasted blueberry honey syrup

 photo IMG_3361copy_zps01e51a91.jpg  photo IMG_3367copy_zpsbbdfd261.jpg
When I was a freshman, I had this roommate from New Mexico. She always used to tell us about the mesas, and the dirt, and the cowboys, and the smell of roasting green chiles. It sounded sort of wonderful, in its own sort of way. I went there with her once, and it was sort of wonderful in its own sort of way. So open and natural. So devoid of the greenery that I always thought symbolized life, and yet so extremely alive. The sky, the sage brush, the dessert animals...
And the green chiles. Ohhhh those things are good. When I found this recipe I immediately decided to swap in green chiles for the jalapeños, because I have found a small place in my heart for those delicious little things. Also partly because jalapeños are freaking spicy and I'm a wimp.

FOR THE PANCAKES
1/2 c. corn
1/4 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. flour (can be substituted with Cup4Cup gluten-free flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBS honey
1 egg
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 TBS canola oil
1 1/2 TBS green chile
1/4 shredded cheese (cheddar or mozzarella, whatever your taste)

FOR THE SYRUP
1 1/2 c. blueberries (I used frozen because I'm poor, you can too)
1/2 c. honey
1 TBS water
1 TBS butter

Heat up your oven to high (around 350°F) and roast your blueberries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 10-15 minutes. While that's going, roast the green chiles and the corn in a pan until they are just a little charred. Then, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl. Add the honey, egg, buttermilk and canola oil. Add the roasted green chiles, corn, and cheese. Before starting to cook your pancakes, get a small pot and boil the water and honey for the sauce. Add the butter. When the blueberries are done, add those in as well. Then you can cook your pancakes (about 2-3 minutes per side) and serve them with a delicious roast blueberry sauce.
It's sweet. It's savory. It's the best breakfast ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment