gluten-free chocolate coconut cake

 photo IMG_3462copy_zps8e200cc6.jpg  photo IMG_3461copy_zpsc1f1f136.jpg  photo IMG_3459copy_zpsc81177de.jpg  photo IMG_3456copy_zps772a42ae.jpg

I have an obsession with making layered cakes. When I first moved into my current apartment, my roommates would always ask, "What's the occasion?" every time they saw me baking one...at this point they've stopped caring. I just bake cakes whenever. And I have found a favorite recipe for chocolate cake based off of several recipes from around the internet. Here it is:

1 3/4 c. Cup4Cup gluten-free flour
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 c. coconut milk (or regular milk. or soy milk. whatever you have, really)
2 eggs
6 TBS tahini
2 TBS vegetable oil
3/4 c. boiling water

Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a big bowl. In a separate bowl mix the milk, eggs, tahini, and oil. Now whisk together the dry and wet ingredients. At this point, you add the boiling water and mix it in. It looks pretty watery, but it's fine. After spraying 3 6" baking pans with a crazy amount of Pam (bad experiences with cakes that stick to the pan...), you pour in the mixture equally. It should fill each pan about halfway. Cook it for 20-24 minutes on 375°F, or until you can put a toothpick in and have it come out clean.
I just coated the outside/between the layers with a cream cheese frosting and toasted coconut, and BAM. A delicious chocolate coconut cake. And I promise, it doesn't even taste gluten-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment